As summer approaches, the lush landscapes of greater Chicagoland come alive with vibrant summer flowering perennials. At McAdam Garden Center in Forest Park, IL, we take pride in offering an exceptional selection of perennial varieties that thrive in the local climate and add beauty to gardens, borders, and containers. In this article, we present the top 10 summer flowering perennials available at McAdam Garden Center, along with brief descriptions and general planting instructions, all suitable for the Illinois region. To enhance their growth, we recommend using Espoma Biotone during planting and mulching well to reduce water waste.
- Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea): Known for their bold, daisy-like flowers, coneflowers are a favorite choice for Illinois gardens. Their shades of pink, purple, and white attract pollinators while adding a touch of elegance. Plant them in well-drained soil and provide ample sunlight.
- Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia): This classic perennial features striking yellow flowers with dark centers, providing a cheerful atmosphere to any garden. Black-eyed Susans thrive in full sun and well-drained soil, while attracting pollinators.
- Daylily (Hemerocallis): With captivating blooms that last only a day, daylilies are prolific flower producers. Available in various colors, they adapt well to Illinois’ soil types and prefer full sun or partial shade.
- Russian Sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia): Featuring silvery-gray foliage and spiky lavender-blue flowers, Russian sage adds a stunning element to gardens. Drought-tolerant, this perennial thrives in sunny locations with well-drained soil.
- Coreopsis (Coreopsis verticillata): Known for its golden yellow flowers, coreopsis is a low-maintenance perennial that brings brightness to Illinois landscapes. These sun-loving plants prefer well-drained soil and attract butterflies.
- Salvia (Salvia nemorosa): Salvias are renowned for their long-lasting, vibrant blooms in shades of blue, purple, pink, and red. These sun-loving perennials prefer well-drained soil and act as a magnet for hummingbirds and butterflies.
- Bee Balm (Monarda): Bee Balm, or bergamot, boasts showy flowers in shades of red, pink, and purple. This aromatic perennial thrives in full sun to partial shade and attracts pollinators to your garden.
- Phlox (Phlox paniculata): Phlox is a staple in Illinois’ summer gardens, offering a profusion of fragrant flowers in various colors. They prefer moist, well-drained soil and full sun.
- Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa): This native perennial is a favorite of butterflies, attracting them with vibrant orange flowers. Butterfly weed thrives in well-drained soil and full sun, making it a perfect addition to Illinois gardens.
- Shasta Daisy (Leucanthemum x superbum): Shasta daisies brighten up any garden with their large white flowers and yellow centers. These easy-to-grow perennials prefer full sun and well-drained soil, making them suitable for Illinois’ climate.
McAdam Garden Center in Forest Park, IL, is your go-to destination for a wide selection of summer flowering perennials that thrive in the greater Chicagoland region. By using Espoma Biotone during planting and mulching well, you can enhance the growth and reduce water waste in your garden. These top 10 perennial varieties, along with many others available at McAdam Garden Center.